|Crumpets are delicious when spread with butter and mermalade. The butter soaks into the crumpet and drips down your chin as you bite them !|
8oz Plain Flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried instant yeast
1/2 pint walm milk
oil to grease
Crumpet rings : 3-5" in diametre
- Mix Flour, sugar, salt and dried yeast in a bowl. Add the walmed milk, and stir the batter until smooth.
- Cover the bowl, and put in a warm place and leave it until the mixture rises and the surface is full of bubbles (about 40-60 minutes). If the batter is very thick, loosen with the milk.
- Break it down by beating with a spoon.
- Grease some crumpet rings (about 3" in diametre) and put them on the flying pan (or bakestone) to heat.
- Pour 1/2 inch deep of batter into each ring. Cook gently until small holes appear and the top has started to dry.
- Lift off the ring, flip it over and cook until the other side is just coloured slightly.
- Spread with lots of good butter and enjoy !
- Don't heat the milk too much or dried yeast won't work.
Copyright (c)1998 CheekyAll Rights Reserved