Here is a delicious traditional Christmas pudding recipe, rich in fruit and nuts.
Make a wish mixing all the ingredients and have a happy holiday season !
Ingredients ( for a 3pint / 1.7litre basin)
8oz seedless raisins, chopped
4oz sultanas, chopped
4oz mixed peel, chopped
4oz dried apricots, chopped
4oz dried prunes, chopped
4oz blanched, browned and chopped almonds (or walnuts)
8oz flesh white breadcrumbs
8oz soft brown sugar
8oz shredded suet
the finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
8oz plain flour, shifted
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground clove
3 large eggs, beaten
1/2 pint brown ale or stout
3 tablespoons brandy, rum or whisky
butter, for greasing
Christmas puddhings take 2 days to make.
On the first day:
Mix all the ingredients and bind them together, and leave at room temperature overnight.
On the second day:
Turn the mixture in to the basin and steam it.
- Place the dried fruit, almonds, flour, breadcrumbs, suet, lemon rind, sugar and spices in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Mix flour into other ingredients with whisked eggs, lemon juice, ale (or stout) and spirit to make a soft consistency. Leave overnight.
- Next day turn the mixture into greased basins and smooth the tops.
- Cover each basin with a double layer of greaseproof paper and foil, make a pleat across the topto allow the pudding to rise.
- Fasten the cover tightly with string, the steam the pudding over medium-low heat adding more boiling water to pot if necessary. (about 8 hours fot the 3 pint basin, or 6 hours for the 1.5 pint basin)
- Leave the pudding to cool, and re-cover each pudding with fresh greaseproof paper and store in a cool dry place until required.
On Christmas day
Steam the pudding until heated through (about 2 hours). Transfer pudding to platter and serve with brandy butter or whipped cream.
For Brandy Butter
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
5 tablespoon brandy
Beat butter until smooth. Gradually beat in sugar and brandy.
(Can be prepared 1 week ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.)
Copyright (c)1998 CheekyAll Rights Reserved